SAP BW Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced
Question.1 What is a data source and an info source?
Answer: Data source: The source that is sending data to a particular info source on BW; for example we have a OCUSTOMER_ATTR data source to supp attributes to ©CUSTOMER from R/3.
Info source: Group of logically related objects; for example the OCUSTOMER info source will contain data related to customer and attributes like customer number, address, phone no, etc.
Question.2 What are the types of info sources?
Answer: Transactional, attributes, text and hierarchy.
Question.3 What is communication structure?
Answer: Is an independent structure created from Info source; it is independent of the source system/data source.
Question.4 What are transfer rules?
Answer: The transformation rules for data from source system to info source/communication structure. This is used to clean up the data from source system. For example, when you load customer data from a flat file, you can convert the file name to upper case using a transfer rule.
Question.5 What is global transfer rule?
Answer: This is a transfer, routine TABAP) defined at the info object level; this is common for all source systems.
Question.6 What are the options available in the transfer rule?
Answer: Assign info object! assign a constant, ABAP routine or a Formula (From version 3.x); example are:
a. Assign info object – direct transfer; no transformation.
b. Constant – for example, if you are loading data from a specified country in a flat file, you can make the country (US) as constant and assign the value.
c. ABAP routine -for example if you want to do some complex string manipulation; assume that you are getting a flat File from legacy data and the cost center is in a field and you have to “message’’ the data to get it; in this case use ABAP code.
Question.7 What are the extractor types?
Answer: Application Specific (BW Content extractors like FI, LO Cockpit and Generic extractor for LIS, FI-SAL) and Cross application Generic extractor (for Custom extracts from database table/views and Sap Query).
Question.8 What is the top transaction for extraction?
Question.9 What are the steps to extract data from R/3?
- replicate the data sources
- assign to info source
- maintain communication structure and transfer rules
- create info package
- load data
Question.10 What is a content extraction?
Answer: Extractors supplied by. SAP for specific business module; example 0FI_AP_03.
Question.11 What is direct updating of info object?
Answer: This is updating an info object without using any update rules (only transfer rules).
Question.12 What is flexible updating?
Answer: This uses update rules; using this it is possible to update master data from different sources into a consolidated object before updating master data tables.
Question.13 What are the monitor settings?
- Define the wait time before the status-turns to red; usually it is 7 hours 11=meaning if the data is not transferred within 7 hours for the request the p status is set to red.
- Status colors – here you can specify what status should be displayed in case of 0 records transferred or warnings.
- Schedule monitor assistant in the background to analyze requests.
Question.14 Which transaction defines the background user in source system?
Question.15 What are the settings for Transport?
Answer: Define source system name after transport. For example assume that you have 2 BW systems and 2 R/3 systems named DBW, QBW for Development BW and QA BW; DR3, QR3 for Development and QA R3. c When you transport from DBW to QBW the source system should p change from DR3 to QR3. Use this to set the change in the source system.
Question.16 What are the settings for Reporting?
Answer: Defines what should be displayed for conditions like divide by zero, no data, overflow, inside values, authorization errors,
2) info provider properties for cache
3) activate personalization in Bex.
Question.17 How to implement structural authorization in BW?
- create the profile using transaction OOSP
- assign user to profile using transaction OOSB
- update T77Ulii table
- run the program RHBAUSOO
- activate the data source and related components 0HR_PA_2 in BW
- load ODS from R/3
- activate target info objects as “Authorization relevant”
- run the function module RSSB to generate BW authorization.
Question.18 What are the new BW 3.x authorizations?
Answer: S_RS_C.OMP1 checks for authorization depending on the owner; S_RS_FOLD info area view of Bex elements (to suppress); S_RS^_ISET for info sets; S_GUI – new activity code 60 loaded for upload.
Question.19 What is the use Y as an authorization value?
- It enables queries that do not contain an authorization relevant object that has been checked in info cube.
- It allows summary data to be displayed if the user does not have access to detailed data; for example, if you create 2 authorizations for one user one with Sales Org * and customers: and second with sales org 1000 and customers. The user sees all customers for sales org 1000 and only summarized report for other sales org.